Website Done, Prayer and Community Service

Thank goodness!  The website is finally done!  I think we're all really happy with how it turned out, and we've already been getting positive feedback, so I guess we've done something right.  If you haven't seen our new website, check it out: www.ywammaui.com and let me know what you think.


Yet another picture that didn't quite make the cut for the new website.


This spring, I've been asked to do something for YWAM Maui that is completely out of my comfort zone... lead our Thursday morning prayer times.  I'm fine with fundraising, helping design websites, writing newsletters etc.  and I actually prefer to be in the office doing my communication stuff, but leading prayer is definitely not something I feel qualified for.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for praying!  As Christians, its our distinct privilege to be able to talk to the God of the universe; thank Him for what we have, ask Him for help.  But leading prayer times every week (for a whole hour nonetheless) seems like a task that is beyond me!

I've been leading these times now for the last two weeks, and I've been really surprised at how God is already using this to draw me closer to Him.  With every news story I see, every conversation I have and every hurting person I talk to, I'm finding that more often my first reaction is to pray.  Before now, prayer had always seemed like some sort of spiritual chore, that is unless I really wanted something.  In the past few weeks though, that seems to be slowly changing (sitting still for an hour is still not my forte).  I'm actually enjoying these prayer times. 

Along with that, I believe that part of my job as a missionary is to be praying for my supporters.  So, as strange as this may sound, if you have anything that you want prayer for, don't hesitate to call or e-mail me, its part of my job!


For the Hawaiian item of the week, I thought I'd focus on a little town in Maui called Hana.  I'm actually about to drive out there this afternoon to help a lady move some furniture into her house, so I thought I'd share a little more about Hana. 


Cliff jumping at a secret spot called "The Venus Pools"


Hana is probably the last real "Old Hawaii" town on Maui.  Everywhere else has tons of hotels, neighborhoods and tourist traps, so when people want to experience the "real Hawaii" they go to Hana, which is about 30 miles east of where I live.  To get there, you have to traverse the infamous Road to Hana, 30 or so miles of twisted, hilly and often washed out road with about 50 one lane bridges.  Getting there is half the fun though, and most people make a day of it.  


Jumping off a 65 foot bridge in Hana.  I've gotten into a habit of jumping off tall things in Hawaii...

Once you get to Hana, there's lots of cool stuff to do, but you have to know where to look.  There are black and red sand beaches, cliff jumping and a 300 foot tall waterfall with an infinity pool on top.  Hana is known for being laid back, and for everything moving at a slower than normal pace, just like you'd expect in Old Hawaii.

2 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Great post and I really like the new web site. 65 feet is not really that high. :-)

  1. Melissa said...:

    Very good on the website bryan! We plan to get cracking on our own St T website in the next few weeks.